Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Donald Trump said on Tuesday it was "totally appropriate" for him to incite the attack on the U.S. Capitol that killed five people.
"People thought that what I said was totally appropriate," Trump told reporters.
Trump's did not admit any guilt for his role in inciting the attack and he expressed no regret for the deaths that occurred. When airing his remarks, MSNBC cut away from Trump, noting he was lying about the events that took place.
"The president has started to, as he usually does, often does, veer away from the truth," noted MSNBC anchor Hallie Jackson.
Trump's statement runs counter to claims on Monday from House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy that Trump admitted he had a role in instigating the violence on Capitol Hill.
At a speech in Washington before the riot took place, Trump encouraged rally attendees to take action, citing myths and conspiracy theories about Joe Biden's election win. As the mob attacked the Capitol, Trump told them, "We love you."
Support for Trump's removal from office has risen since he made his comments, with a recent ABC News poll showing 56% supporting his removal.
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), a staunch Trump ally, said his legacy had been "tarnished" by the attack and said, "His actions were the problem not the solution."
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) called for Trump's resignation, telling reporters, "I want him out."
Some of Trump's fellow Republicans have said they are considering supporting a measure to impeach him for inciting the attack.
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) has said he hasn't ruled out voting for impeachment and that he supports using the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from power.
Rep. Peter Meijer (R-MI) said Trump's rhetoric denying his election loss was "rankly unfit" and would be considering impeachment.
Punchbowl News reported that House Republicans "are bracing for between ten and 20 of their GOP colleagues to vote to impeach Donald Trump."
But Graham has said he opposes impeachment, claiming it will "do far more harm than good."
From a Jan. 12 media availability:
REPORTER: What is your role in what happened at the Capitol? What is your personal responsibility?
DONALD TRUMP: So if you read my speech, and many people have done it and I've seen it both in the papers and in the media, on television, it's been analyzed and people thought that what I said was totally appropriate and if you look at what other people have said, politicians at a high level, about the riots during the summer, the horrible riots in Portland and Seattle and various other places –
HALLIE JACKSON, MSNBC: We are coming out of this now because the president has started to, as he usually does, often does, veer away from the truth.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Trump Signals That His Coup Plotting Isn't Really Over - National ... ›
- How Kevin McCarthy Left Mitch McConnell 'Twisting' As Trump ... ›
- Senate Republicans Brawl Over Trump's Coup Plot - National Memo ›
- Officials 'Increasingly Alarmed' Over White House Coup Plotting ... ›
- The American Institutions That Broke Trump's Coup - National Memo ›
- Trump Faces Calls For Immediate Impeachment Following Capitol ... ›
- 'We Love You': Trump Praises Terrorists After Biden Urges Him To ... ›
- 'Remember This Day Forever': Trump Celebrates His Mob's Assault ... ›
- Trump Warns Against Impeachment, Issues Vague Threat To Biden - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Jordan Klepper Confronts MAGA Rioters At The Capitol - National Memo ›
- Democrats Suggest Capitol Attackers Had Inside Assistance - National Memo ›
- Eric Trump Blames ‘Cancel Culture’ For Capitol Riot Blowback - National Memo ›
- How Militia Gangs Communicated During Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Alibi For Insurrection? ’Trump Invited Us’ To Capitol - National Memo ›
- Trump Launched A Civil War — Now We Must Defeat His ‘Army’ - National Memo ›
- Uncovering The #MAGA Plot Against America - National Memo ›
- Lindsey Graham Slammed For Decrying Impeachment As ‘Divisive’ - National Memo ›
- Trump pressured Pence to engineer a coup, then put the VP in ... ›
- Trump attempted a coup: he must be removed while those who ... ›
- Experts Fear Trump's Failed Coup Is a 'Dress Rehearsal' ›
- Trump's Coup Attempt Isn't Over | The New Yorker ›
- Capitol riot: How Donald Trump incited an attack on America | Fortune ›
- Don't expect charges against Trump or allies for inciting Capitol ... ›
- Gov. Hogan: 'No question' Trump was responsible for inciting riot ›
- How Trump's speech led to the Capitol riot - Vox ›
- What Trump Told Supporters Before Mob Stormed Capitol - The ... ›
- Whether Trump 'incited' Capitol riot is in eye of the beholder | US ... ›