Officials ‘Increasingly Alarmed’ Over White House Coup Plotting
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
President Donald Trump can't stand rejection, and his campaign has had a lot of it since the 2020 presidential election — from judge after judge dismissing his legal team's election lawsuits to the Electoral College certifying President-elect Joe Biden's victory. Following all that rejection, journalist Charlotte Klein stresses in an article published by Vanity Fair, Trump and his supporters are resorting to increasingly extreme ideas in the hope of preventing Biden from being inaugurated less than a month from now.
"Having effectively exhausted his legal options — at least 86 judges, including dozens appointed by Republicans, have shut down the president's unprecedented attempt to overturn his defeat through the courts — Donald Trump is apparently now entertaining even more anti-democratic paths to preserving his power," Klein explains. "During a White House meeting on Friday, nearly a week after the Electoral College certified Joe Biden's victory, Trump reportedly discussed invoking martial law to overturn his losing election result — a strategy one of the meeting's attendees, former national security adviser and recent pardon recipient Michael Flynn, had recently proposed on cable television."
According to New York Times reporters Maggie Haberman and Zolan Kanno-Youngs, far-right Republican attorney Sidney Powell was also present in the White House during that meeting last Friday with the president — who floated the idea of choosing her as a special counsel to oversee an investigation of voter fraud. Powell, in her lawsuits, has been alleging that Trump was the victim of widespread voter fraud during the election but has offered no proof of it.
Others who were present during that meeting included attorney Rudy Giuliani, White House Counsel Pat Cipollone and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows.
‘Officials increasingly alarmed about Trump’s power grab’ - by Jonathan Swan https://t.co/iodBUiSpPK— Mia Farrow (@Mia Farrow) 1608417697.0
Flynn isn't the only Trump supporter who has been urging Trump to declare martial law. Far-right Georgia-based attorney Lin Wood, who has been working closely with Powell on election-related lawsuits, has also made that frightening recommendation:
Good morning. Our country is headed to civil war. A war created by 3rd party bad actors for their benefit - not fo… https://t.co/J3hCjuW8x3— Lin Wood (@Lin Wood) 1606834823.0
Haberman and Axios' Jonathan Swan have both posted tweets noting how worried some people in Trump's circle have been about the increasingly extreme ideas they are hearing:
"People who are concerned and nervous aren’t the weak-kneed bureaucrats that we loathe," the official added. "These… https://t.co/9T20qNvsE5— Jonathan Swan (@Jonathan Swan) 1608409339.0
Sources who have gotten used to Trump’s eruptions over four years sound scared by what’s transpired in the past wee… https://t.co/T987pKpYEB— Maggie Haberman (@Maggie Haberman) 1608409718.0
Klein points out that "concern about the president's increasingly desperate quest to remain in power has intensified among those in Trump's circle," noting that a senior administration official, quoted anonymously, told Axios, "People who are concerned and nervous aren't the weak-kneed bureaucrats that we loathe. These are people who have endured arguably more insanity and mayhem than any administration officials in history."
- How Trump Plans To Remain In Power: 'Get Rid Of The Ballots ... ›
- Former Federal Ethics Chief Warns Of Trump's 'Authoritarian Coup ... ›
- Trump's Pentagon Turmoil Stirs Fear Of A 'Coup In Progress ... ›
- The American Institutions That Broke Trump's Coup - National Memo ›
- Trump Accuses Justice Department Of Conspiring To Fix Election ... ›
- Trump Wants To Name Sidney Powell As Special Counsel For ... ›
- Trump And Attorneys Reportedly Discussed Imposing 'Martial Law ... ›
- The 126 House Republicans Who Signed Up For A Trump Putsch - National Memo ›
- Senate Republicans Brawl Over Trump’s Coup Plot - National Memo ›
- Constitutional Process Suspended As Trump Stokes Capitol Insurrection - National Memo ›
- ’Totally Appropriate’: Trump Insists Speech Inciting Capitol Riot Was Just Fine - National Memo ›
- Behind Trump's Words, A Criminal State Of Mind - National Memo ›
- Is Trump Trying to Stage a Coup? - The Atlantic ›
- Trump Floats Coup Plan So Wild Even Giuliani Is Terrified ›
- The Coup Stage of Donald Trump's Presidency | The New Yorker ›
- Trump Allies Eye Long-Shot Election Reversal in Congress - The ... ›
- Romney decries martial law discussion in Trump's White House ... ›
- Trump campaign brings new U.S. Supreme Court challenge over ... ›