Trump For House Speaker Is A Bannon Brainstorm
Reprinted with permission from Media Matters
Following former President Donald Trump's June 4 remark that the idea of becoming speaker of the House after the 2022 midterm election is "very interesting" to him, political media has been abuzz with speculation. The idea has been making rounds in right-wing spheres in various iterations since January, when it was first championed by former White House chief strategist, election conspiracy-theorist-in-chief, and enchanted pile of dirty laundry Steve Bannon.
On January 21, conservative influencer Rogan O'Handley, who goes by "DC Draino" online, appeared on Bannon's show War Room: Pandemic to discuss his tweet, in which he had proposed that "Trump run for Congress in Florida in '22" and become speaker of the House, after which he can "impeach Kamala" -- a remark that suggests Biden would not be president in 2023.
During the show, Bannon effusively praised O'Handley's idea. He said the possibility of Trump, the only former president to incite an insurrection, becoming speaker in 2023 means "we don't have to wait until 2024 to have a presidential election. This nationalizes the midterm elections" and "gives a unifying message" for Trump's base to rally around.
Bannon also correctly noted that Trump could be elected speaker without being a member of Congress, and he endorsed focusing on winning "the House of Representatives, [which is] what thwarted Donald J. Trump" in his last two years in office. O'Handley implored Trump to not "let them end your presidency by what they did to you, get revenge plus take back the country." (Just over a month after this appearance, O'Handley was permanently banned from Twitter for "repeated violations of its civic integrity policy.")
In February, Bannon floated the idea in remarks he gave to the Boston area West Roxbury Ward 20 Republican Committee. According to the Boston Herald, Bannon said Trump's base will "totally get rid of" House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) in the midterms "and the first act of President Trump as speaker will be to impeach Joe Biden for his illegitimate activities of stealing the presidency."
In April, right-wing publication the Washington Examiner ran a piece with the headline "Buzz: Trump for speaker and Pence unlikely to head Heritage." The opinion piece cited former CNN commentator Ed Martin, who said, "I'm serious. We need the Trump voters. … With the possibility of having Donald Trump as speaker, conservative voter turnout would be through the roof nationwide."
Trump's June 4 remarks to his friend and conspiracy theorist Wayne Allyn Root calling the idea "very interesting" thrust the simmering rumor back into the spotlight. On June 5, Fox contributor Jason Chaffetz noted on Fox & Friends Weekend that "you don't need to be a member of Congress to be elected the speaker of the House," saying Trump becoming the speaker "would make for great TV."
On the morning of June 7, Fox Business' Stuart Varney asked Trump about a potential run in 2022, to which Trump said it was "highly unlikely" he would seek a seat in the House of Representatives.
Still, Bannon remains bullish on the idea. The same day as Trump's comment to Varney, Bannon appeared on right-wing radio personality John Fredericks' show and said, "Donald Trump will take over, at least on an interim basis, as speaker of the House to take the gavel from Nancy Pelosi and then to gavel in the impeachment panel to impeach Joe Biden." He credited O'Handley for originating the idea and said, "I helped take it to the next level. He wanted him to run for Congress. You do not have to be a member of Congress to be speaker."
Steve Bannon Predicts Trump will Become U.S. House Speaker in 2023www.youtube.com
Not everyone in Trump's orbit is in line with Bannon's latest scheme. For his part, dirty trickster Roger Stone, who has despised Bannon for years, said in a video posted online on June 6, "So, sloppy Steve Bannon thinks that former President Trump should run for the House of Representatives, become speaker, and lead the impeachment of Joe Biden. Here's the problem with this plan: What happens if Trump himself is elected to Congress, but the feckless, gutless, weak-kneed Republicans fail to take a majority?"
- "A Modest Proposal": A One-Act Play - National Memo ›
- Steve Bannon Can't Drain The Swamp Because He Is The Swamp ... ›
- QAnon And Trumpists Plot GOP Takeover -- With Bannon's Advice ... ›
- With Blood On His Hands, Bannon Loses YouTube Account ... ›
- Bannon Says QAnon Is “FBI Psyop” After Embracing Cult In October ... ›
- Bannon And Chinese Billionaire Spread Coronavirus Conspiracies ... ›
- Bannon Suggests Deadly Violence To Stop Biden Inauguration ... ›
- McCarthy: Trump Wants To Be House Speaker If GOP Regains Majority ›
- Democrats Can Win Next Year The Same Way They Won Last Year - National Memo ›
- Bannon’s 'Private Border Wall' Partner Indicted For Tax Fraud - National Memo ›
- Will Americans Go Backward Into Disease And Depression, With Trump? - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Excoriated Over ‘Joking’ Threat To Hit Pelosi With Gavel - National Memo ›
- 'So interesting': Trump pitched on idea to run for House, become ... ›
- Madam Speaker review: how Nancy Pelosi bested Bush and Trump ... ›
- Steve Bannon Tells Massachusetts Republicans Trump Will Be ... ›
- Steve Bannon pitches Boston Republicans on plan to make Donald ... ›
- Trump on idea to run for House seat in 2022 in a bid to become ... ›
- Speaker Trump? He says it's "interesting," but MAGAworld is split on ... ›
- Trump Says Congress Run to Become Speaker and Impeach Biden ... ›
- Opinion | Steve Bannon's vile threats show the GOP's radicalization ... ›
- Steve Bannon Wants Trump to Run for Congress in 2022 and ... ›