Reprinted with permission from Alternet
With the majority of Senate Republicans having voted that former President Donald Trump's second impeachment trial shouldn't even be taking place, it is most unlikely that the trial — despite all the damning evidence that Democratic House impeachment managers have presented — will result in a conviction. But when Palm Beach District Attorney Dave Aronberg appeared on MSNBC's Morning Joe on Friday, he stressed that if Trump faces a prosecution in Georgia, an impeachment trial would be the least of his concerns.
Aronberg, a Florida Democrat who is often featured as a legal analyst on MSNBC, told Morning Joe hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski that a criminal prosecution in Georgia would be a much different matter from an impeachment trial — which, he noted, is a political process, not a criminal proceeding.
At issue in Georgia is Trump's actions following the 2020 presidential election. Although Georgia is among the states that now-President Joe Biden won, Trump tried to bully Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger into altering the election results. Trump can be heard in a phone conversation asking Raffensperger to "find" him enough votes to move Georgia in his favor.
Georgia prosecutors haven't charged Trump with anything, but his activities are being investigated by Fulton County DA Fani Willis.
Aronberg told Scarborough and Brzezinski, "You can get up to three years in state prison in Georgia for soliciting election fraud, and it's also a separate misdemeanor if you intentionally interfere with the performance of election duties…. He could face real prison time. It would be up to a jury. This is not the U.S. Senate, which is a political body…. This is real stuff in a community, Fulton County, which went for Biden in a big way. So, the jury pool will not be super sympathetic to the president."
The Palm Beach prosecutor added that if Trump were convicted of a criminal charge in Georgia, Republican Gov. Brian Kemp probably wouldn't be of much help. First, Aronberg said, there is now bad blood between Kemp, a former ally, and Trump — and second, Kemp wouldn't have the power to grant him a pardon, according to Aronberg.
"Lordy, there are tapes," Aronberg said of Trump's conversation with Raffensperger. "Those are the prosecutor's best friends. You don't even have to read a transcript; you've got it there on the recording."
- Sen. Perdue Endorses Trump's Attempt To Extort Georgia Officials ... ›
- The Lies That Drove Trump's Mob Still Linger - National Memo ›
- In Georgia, Pence Repeats Trump's False Claims On Election ... ›
- Trump Encourages Voter Fraud — And That May Be A Crime ... ›
- Georgia Authorities Now Probing Trump's Attempt To Overturn Election ›
- Top Election Law Expert Urges Prosecution Of Trump For 'Belated ... ›
- Latest Trump Lawsuit Demands Court Cancel Georgia Vote ... ›
- 'Vulnerable To Prosecution": What Trump Will Face If He Loses This ... ›
- Report: Don Jr. Fears Election Defeat Will Mean Prosecution Of ... ›
- Details Of Trump's Georgia Extortion Scheme Provoke Calls For ... ›
- Why Trump Will Suffer Legal Torment For Years To Come - National Memo ›
- Georgia DA’s Investigation Of Trump Sent To Grand Jury - National Memo ›
- How The Press Enables The GOP’s Big Lie -- And Damages Democracy - National Memo ›
- In Trump’s GOP, They Can’t Handle The Truth - National Memo ›
- Trump Seeking To Punish Honest Georgia Official In GOP Primary - National Memo ›
- Conspiracy Theorists Force Another Sham Election ‘Audit’ — In Georgia - National Memo ›
- Fact-Checking Trump's Debunked Election Claims in Georgia Call ... ›
- The lies Trump told in his call with Georgia's Secretary of State - al.com ›
- Trump's Georgia rally was a festival of grievances and election lies ... ›
- Opinion | The potential charges against Donald Trump - The ... ›
- Would A Biden Justice Department Prosecute Trump? It's ... ›
- Trump, after surviving impeachment, could face charges if he loses ... ›
- Trump Call to Georgia Official Might Violate State and Federal Law ... ›
- Metro Atlanta prosecutor investigating Trump attempt to overturn ... ›
- Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis may charge Donald Trump ... ›