Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
Donald Trump's slew of Christmas pardons this month weren't reserved just for his fellow crooks and mob presidency loyalists deserving of only a lump of coal this year. The impeached president issued full pardons to not one, not two, but three former Border Patrol agents who were charged and found guilty of crimes against people at the southern border while on duty.
The Texas Tribune reports one of the three pardoned criminals was Gary Brugman, who served almost two years for violating a man's civil rights. The other two former agents were Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean, convicted of assault with a deadly weapon and civil rights violations after they shot a man in 2005 and then tried to cover it up, Think Immigration reported. But the pardons were also in no way a Trump aberration: Both outlets reported that top Republican elected officials and figures pushed for the pardons.
The Texas Tribune reports that Brugman had in his corner both of Texas' U.S. senators, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz. Also supporting him was the state's notoriously anti-immigrant lieutenant governor, Dan Patrick. Think Immigration reports that supporting Ramos and Compean was former Republican Rep. Duncan Hunter, himself "recently convicted of stealing campaign funds." Oh, but in the spirit of the holidays, Trump made sure there were enough pardons to go to every criminal in his orbit, and Hunter got a pardon too. Merry Christmas.
Think Immigration writes that crimes committed by Ramos and Compean in particular were "but one of countless immigration-related abuses over the years, and one of the most notorious that continues to haunt the communities all along our southern border." A 2006 report from the Department of Homeland Security inspector general details how Ramos and Compean chased a man, first trying to hit him in the head with the butt of a shotgun and then shooting him in the buttocks.
"Compeon and Ramos did not report the shooting as required by [Border Patrol] regulations," the inspector general report said, "and instead covered up the crime scene by removing the spent shell casings that were ejected from their pistols during the shooting." Both men were sentenced to over a decade in prison, but then had their sentences commuted by George W. Bush. Republicans have always been about that law and order, right? Trump's pardon now "wipes their records clean," Think Immigration said, "making it as though they were never guilty."
"Of particular note in the requests for the agents' pardons and in the final announcement itself is how they are devoid of any reference to remorse, request for forgiveness, or acceptance of responsibility," Think Immigration continued. "These pardons are beyond putting salt in the wound; it is salting the earth as the administration does what it can to leave the most lasting and damaging impact on its way out."
Customs and Border Protection (CBP) had already been operating with impunity but during the Trump administration dropped any illusion or appearance of trying to operate within the law, and within its own rules. That includes illegally detaining migrant children, spending emergency humanitarian funds meant for food and medical care for detained migrants on dirt bikes, and helping implement state-sanctioned kidnappings at the border. Then for the first time in a decade, children died while in custody of the agency.
Yet there has been too little accountability when it comes to CBP (as well as sibling agency Immigration and Customs Enforcement). May 2021 will mark three years since Claudia Patricia Gómez González, an unarmed Indigenous woman from Guatemala, was shot and killed by a border agent. Just like in the cases of other people attacked by CBP, officials lied about the circumstances around her killing. But according to Spanish-language media, the investigation around her case remains ongoing three years later.
There's already so little justice when it comes to the abuses perpetrated by U.S. officials against people at the border. Now with the stroke of a pen, Trump has erased some of that justice, as he also intentionally decimates faith in American democracy because he lost the election fair and square, and continues to kill more Americans by not giving one shit about the novel coronavirus pandemic.
- The Pardon: A Play In One Act - National Memo ›
- Can Trump Pardon Himself? Perhaps Not, But He Will Try - National ... ›
- Trump Pardons Convicted Felon And Fox News Favorite Bernard Kerik ›
- Trump's Abuse Of Pardon Power Reveals That He's Just A Crime Boss ›
- Trump Pardons Paul Manafort, Charles Kushner, And Roger Stone ... ›
- Trump's Corrupt Pardon Spree Has Just Begun - National Memo ›
- Trump Pardons Reminiscent Of 'Kleptocratic' Regimes - National ... ›
- What Sessions Should Tell Trump About Pardons — Before It's Too ... ›
- Trump Issued Last-Minute Pardon To Pirro’s Ex-Husband - National Memo ›
- How Trump’s Pardons Of Bannon And Manafort Could Backfire - National Memo ›
- Trump Pardons Four Blackwater Guards and Two Russia Inquiry ... ›
- Federal judge in Iowa ridicules Trump's pardons ›
- Trump pardon requests pour in during final weeks: 'It's turned crazy ... ›
- Pardons Granted by President Donald Trump ›
- Trump pardons: US justice department unveils bribery inquiry - BBC ... ›
- Trump's Blackwater Guard Pardons Cause Shock And Dismay : NPR ›
- Trump pardons: Rewards for his mostly rich, white, male friends ... ›
- Trump's Pardons: The List - The New York Times ›