Bless Her Heart, Kelly Loeffler Is Back — And She's Fixing To Suppress Black Votes
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
Weeks after losing her special election, former Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) is back — hoping to suppress the vote, and maybe even get her seat back.
Loeffler, who says she's considering another run in 2022, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday that she is launching a political group called Greater Georgia to help elect Republicans in future elections.
Loeffler, who was appointed to a vacant Senate seat in December 2019, lost a runoff in January to Democrat Raphael Warnock, the senior pastor at the historic Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. Warnock, the first Black person to represent Georgia in the Senate, will be up for reelection next November.
After saying a 2022 rematch against Warnock is "certainly on the table," Loeffler said she is starting this new organization because she does not "know if any Republican can win if we don't shore up what we're doing around voter registration, engagement and election integrity."
She plans to do this, she claimed, by trying to make the Georgia GOP "a bigger tent" and protecting "election integrity" by making it harder to vote.
The group's website uses coded language to explain its voter suppression intent, talking about how voters must have "confidence in the process," through "election transparency & uniformity."
Loeffler endorsed Republican efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election results, citing "real concerns" about how the election "was conducted" — despite a total lack of evidence of any widespread issues — though a day after losing her seat, she said she could not "in good conscience" help Donald Trump steal the election.
Though President Joe Biden carried Georgia in November, and Warnock and Sen. Jon Ossoff (D) swept two runoffs last month, Republicans are already pushing to change state laws to prevent Democrats from ever winning again.
Loeffler's claim that she will work to promote "big tent" GOP proposals hardly matches her record during her brief Senate tenure.
She boasted of voting with Trump 100 percent of the time and being "more conservative than Attila the Hun," a brutal killer not known for his inclusive policies.
She pandered to white supremacists and made overtly racist attacks against Warnock. She ran ads featuring Trump using racist terminology to describe the coronavirus, took a selfie with a well-known former Ku Klux Klan leader, and railed against the Black Lives Matter movement.
She also attacked Warnock's religious beliefs, even bashing him for quoting the Bible. "[Warnock's] repeated use of the Bible & his pulpit to justify abortion-on-demand is sickening & wrong," she tweeted in December.
Even if Loeffler runs, she might not have a clear shot at her party's nomination.
Republican ex-Sen. David Perdue, who lost the other Senate seat to Ossoff after allegations of insider trading, and ex-Rep. Doug Collins, who failed to make the runoff against Warnock and Loeffler, are both considering bids.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- How Georgia Voters Aim To Transform America's Future - National ... ›
- GOP Civil War Erupts in Georgia Senate Runoffs - National Memo ›
- Democrats Will Control Senate As Ossoff Wins Georgia Runoff ... ›
- McConnell Condemns QAnon — Except When He Doesn't ... ›
- Georgia Republicans Stunned By Massive Turnout Of Early And ... ›
- Georgia's Right-Wing Feuding Jeopardizes Republican Senate ... ›
- What Really Happened In Those Historic Georgia Runoffs -- And ... ›
- Republicans Trying To Restrict Voting May See Their Schemes Backfire - National Memo ›
- Georgia Republicans Vote To Eliminate No-Excuse Absentee Voting - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- ‘Everybody Shouldn’t Be Voting’ Blurts Arizona Republican Legislator ›
- Top Georgia Republican Slams State's Proposed Voting Restrictions - National Memo ›
- Sweeping Election Law Changes Signed By Georgia Gov. Kemp - National Memo ›
- Gov. Kemp Signed Voter Suppression Law Under Painting Of Slave Plantation - National Memo ›
- House Democrats Vow To Bring Georgia Voters Water After GOP Criminalizes It - National Memo ›
- Georgia Election Law Is A Civil Rights Issue, Not A Partisan Quarrel - National Memo ›
- GOP Senators Underestimated Stacey Abrams — And Got An Earful - National Memo ›
- Sen. Kelly Loeffler hits back at Stacey Abrams' 'fact-free' claims of ... ›
- Georgia Senate Runoff Debate Transcript: Kelly Loeffler vs. Raphael ... ›
- Georgia Senators Ask Election Official to Resign in G.O.P. Squabble ... ›
- Georgia Republicans Are Going All-In on Voter Suppression | Vanity ... ›
- Atlanta Dream players rally voters as team owner Kelly Loeffler ... ›
- Opinion | Kelly Loeffler's latest nonsense exposes the worst of GOP ... ›
- NPR: Republican Infighting Threatens GOP Chances In Georgia ... ›
- Lincoln Project Video Attacks David Perdue, Kelly Loeffler for Trying ... ›