Reprinted with permission from American Independent
House Republicans are growing more and more frustrated with Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) for speaking out against Donald Trump and may once again be plotting to remove her from her leadership role, according to multiple reports.
The latest Cheney comment that drew ire from Republicans came Monday, when she responded to a Trump statement in which he declared, "The Fraudulent Presidential Election of 2020 will be, from this day forth, known as THE BIG LIE!"
Cheney responded to Trump's comment with a dig, tweeting: "The 2020 presidential election was not stolen. Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system."
Cheney's honest assessment that claims of voter fraud are false drew ire from Republicans.
"Liz Cheney, once again back in the news, sounding like an MSNBC pundit. At this point, she's literally daring Kevin McCarthy to do something about it," Fox News host and right-wing bigot Laura Ingraham tweeted in response to Cheney's comment.
An unnamed ally of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy also anonymously attacked Cheney, and said she may not hold her leadership role as chair of the House Republican conference for much longer.
"There is no way that Liz will be conference chair by month's end," the unnamed ally told The Hill's Scott Wong.
That comment echoes a Saturday tweet from Texas GOP Rep. Lance Gooden, who wrote: "Liz Cheney has promised she will campaign on impeaching Trump 'every day of the week.' Good luck with that, Liz! PREDICTION: she'll be out of her GOP leadership role by month's end!"
Cheney has been vocal in her opposition to Trump holding any leadership role in the Republican Party following his incitement of the insurrection at the Capitol on January 6.
Cheney was one of 10 Republicans to vote to impeach Trump for inciting that insurrection and has kept up her criticism ever since.
A group of right-wing House Republicans attempted to oust Cheney from her leadership role in February over her criticism of Trump. But that effort failed after McCarthy stood up for Cheney.
Now, a few months later, Politico reported that McCarthy is no longer planning to defend Cheney, as he believes her comments criticizing Trump are not helpful.
According to another Politico report, McCarthy told Cheney to tone down her comments, but Cheney did not heed that advice.
One Republican lawmaker who also voted to impeach Trump had a frank assessment of why other GOP lawmakers are fed up with Cheney.
"If a prerequisite for leading our conference is continuing to lie to our voters, then Liz is not the best fit," Rep. Anthony Gonzales (R-OH) told The Hill. "Liz isn't going to lie to people."
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Leaked Memo Shows GOP Leadership Whipping Opposition To ... ›
- Trumpists Suffer Humiliating Defeat Over Ouster Of Rep. Cheney ... ›
- Rep. Cheney Blasts GOP Members For 'False Statements' - National ... ›
- Hot Mic Catches House GOP Leader Whining About Liz Cheney - National Memo ›
- Why Republicans Want To Replace Cheney With ‘Big Liar’ Stefanik - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- ‘Unscrupulous’ Stefanik Is Perfect For Trump-Owned GOP - National Memo ›
- Announcing Cheney Ouster, McCarthy Insists GOP Is ‘A Big Tent Party’ - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Facing GOP Backlash Over Cheney Ouster - National Memo ›
- The Real Steal Is Coming — In 2024 ›
- Liz Cheney Won’t Be Exiled To Political Wilderness - National Memo ›
- Defiant Cheney ‘Will Do Everything I Can’ To Stop Trump In 2024 ›
- The Dirty Secret Behind the Cheney Purge - National Memo ›
- Cheney: McCarthy Should Testify About Jan. 6, Under Subpoena If Necessary - National Memo ›
- Cheney Backs Voter Suppression Bills Based On Trump’s Big Lie - National Memo ›
- Donald Trump backers didn't oust Liz Cheney but GOP civil war ... ›
- House conservatives want to oust Liz Cheney from GOP leadership ›
- House Republicans meet Wednesday to address Liz Cheney ... ›
- House Republicans Again Push To Oust Liz Cheney From ... ›
- Scoop: GOP leaders threaten Cheney ouster - Axios ›
- Liz Cheney Will Be Ousted From GOP Leadership by Month's End ... ›
- Liz Cheney: Group of House conservatives pushing to oust ... ›
- House Republicans divided as some members attempt to oust Liz ... ›
- Wyoming GOP censures Rep. Liz Cheney over impeachment vote ›
- Liz Cheney vs. MAGA - The New York Times ›