Reprinted with permission from Alternet
In light of how arch-conservative Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming is, it's ironic to hear far-right Trump supporters describe her a RINO: Republican in Name Only. But Cheney, in the minds of former President Donald Trump's devotees, committed an unpardonable sin when she called for his impeachment following the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol Building.
Cheney hasn't backed down since then, much to the frustration of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy — who, Axios' Kadia Goba reports, was heard railing against her when he was off the air during an appearance on Fox News' "Fox and Friends" this week.
Axios, according to Goba, has obtained a recording of McCarthy speaking to Fox News' Steve Doocy off the air — and the House minority leader said of Cheney, "I think she's got real problems.... I've had it with her. You know, I've lost confidence.... Well, someone just has to bring a motion, but I assume that will probably take place."
McCarthy has been urging Cheney to tone down her anti-Trump comments, but she has continued to make her feelings known and make it clear that she still holds the former president responsible for the January 6 insurrection.
Axios journalists Jonathan Swan, Glen Johnson and Alayna Treene recently reported that Cheney, according to sources, is in danger of being ousted from her current position in the U.S. House of Representatives — where she is the third highest-ranking Republican.
Goba said of McCarthy's comments to Doocy about Cheney, "The comments, made amid seeming cross-talk with his host, outlined how the House conference chair could be removed by a vote from the chamber's Republican members. McCarthy's comments contrasted from the nearly six-minute, on-air interview, where he told Doocy he'd heard members concerned about Cheney's ability to carry out her job as a party leader."
- Rep. Cheney Blasts GOP Members For 'False Statements' - National ... ›
- GOP Leaders Preparing To Oust Cheney Over Clashes With Trump ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Humiliating CNN Supercut Highlights Kevin ... ›
- Why Republicans Want To Replace Cheney With ‘Big Liar’ Stefanik - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- ‘Unscrupulous’ Stefanik Is Perfect For Trump-Owned GOP - National Memo ›
- Announcing Cheney Ouster, McCarthy Insists GOP Is ‘A Big Tent Party’ - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Facing GOP Backlash Over Cheney Ouster - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Skirted Ethics Rules To Rent Pollster’s Luxury Pad - National Memo ›
- Liz Cheney Won’t Be Exiled To Political Wilderness - National Memo ›
- Defiant Cheney ‘Will Do Everything I Can’ To Stop Trump In 2024 ›
- The Dirty Secret Behind the Cheney Purge - National Memo ›
- Cheney: McCarthy Should Testify About Jan. 6, Under Subpoena If Necessary - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Suggests Cheney Criticism Of Trump Jeopardizes ... ›
- McCarthy and Scalise face internal dissension after Capitol riot ... ›
- McCarthy, Scalise, Cheney reelected as top trio in House GOP - Roll ... ›
- Awkward moment as House Republican leaders clash over Trump ... ›
- McCarthy caught criticizing Rep. Liz Cheney on hot mic ›
- “I've had it with her': McCarthy criticism of Liz Cheney caught on hot ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy caught on hot mic trashing Liz Cheney - Axios ›
- House Republicans Again Push To Oust Liz Cheney From ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy's dishonest explanation for getting rid of Liz Cheney ... ›
- Allies of GOP leader vow to oust Liz Cheney | TheHill ›