Reprinted with permission from Alternet
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy has made it abundantly clear that he is adamantly opposed to the type of bipartisan commission on the January 6 insurrection that is being proposed by a fellow GOP conservative: Rep. John Katko of Upstate New York. But an old quote from McCarthy, journalist David Freelander has noted on Twitter, conflicts with what McCarthy is saying now, and casts his opposition in a cynical light.
Freedlander points out that when McCarthy, earlier this year, voiced his opposition to Trump's second impeachment, he argued that a "fact-finding commission" would be more appropriate." McCarthy told fellow members of Congress that he considered impeachment premature because "no investigations have been completed" and "no hearings have been held."
Worth remembering that in January, Republican lawmakers--including Kevin McCarthy--argued against impeaching Trump… https://t.co/lzHO1JgQGj— David Freedlander (@David Freedlander)1621521550.0
McCarthy was calling for the type of January 6 commission that Katko is calling for now and that the House minority leader is now opposed to.
This January 13 tweet from NBC News shows McCarthy voicing his support for such a "fact-finding commission." He also suggested a censure resolution for Trump at the time, another idea he didn't seriously pursue.
At the time, he spoke against impeachment, endorsing the fact-finding commission. Based in part on those kinds of remarks, the Democrats engaged in months-long negotiations with Republicans on such a commission, making numerous concessions to accommodate GOP concerns and input. But then once the compromise was reached, McCarthy abandoned it. In this light, his old remarks look like a cynical excuse not to go along with impeaching Trump, because he was never really serious about a commission all along.
- Why Republicans Want To Replace Cheney With 'Big Liar' Stefanik ... ›
- The Dirty Secret Behind The Cheney Purge - National Memo ›
- Capitol Police Officers Blast GOP Leaders For Opposing Jan. 6 ... ›
- GOP Leadership Betrays Bipartisan Deal On 1/6 Commission ... ›
- House Homeland Security Committee Reaches Bipartisan Deal On ... ›
- Republicans Want No Independent Probe Of Jan. 6 Insurrection ... ›
- Cheney: McCarthy Should Testify About Jan. 6, Under Subpoena If ... ›
- Fearful Senate Republicans Will Filibuster To Stop Capitol Riot Commission - National Memo ›
- ‘I Haven’t Even Read It’: GOP Senators Clueless On Jan 6 Commission Bill They Oppose - National Memo ›
- McConnell Sends Collins To Kill Jan. 6 Commission — With 'Bipartisan' Lies - National Memo ›
- Why Republicans Need Jan. 6 Commission More Than They Realize - National Memo ›
- Fallen Capitol Police Officer’s Mother Asks To Meet With GOP Senators On Commission - National Memo ›
- GOP Senators Reject Jan 6 Commission Backed By House GOP Members - National Memo ›
- Public Fury Explodes On Twitter After Republicans Reject Jan. 6 Commission - National Memo ›
- Pelosi: ‘Democrats Will Proceed To Find The Truth’ About Insurrection - National Memo ›
- Democrats Must Begin Jan. 6 Investigation -- Now - National Memo ›
- Far-Right Republicans Vote No On Congressional Medal For Capitol Police - National Memo ›
- McConnell hits 'pause' on Dems effort to create Jan. 6 panel ›
- McCarthy Opposes Commission to Investigate Capitol Riot - The ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy won't support January 6 commission and sides with ... ›
- GOP defections over Jan. 6 commission deliver rebuke to McCarthy ... ›
- The real reasons for why Kevin McCarthy is afraid of a January 6 ... ›
- Kevin McCarthy comes out against bipartisan deal on Jan. 6 ... ›
- McCarthy rejects proposed commission to investigate Jan. 6 Capitol ... ›
- McCarthy races to contain GOP defections on Jan. 6 commission ... ›
- McCarthy opposes bipartisan commission to investigate Jan. 6 ... ›