Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-NY), chair of the House Oversight Committee, has asked FBI Director Christopher Wray to "conduct a robust examination" of the far-right social media app Parler's role in the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, according to a tweet from NBC reporter Sahil Kapur.
House Oversight Chair @RepMaloney writes a letter asking FBI Director Christopher Wray to "conduct a robust examina… https://t.co/3F9kdf41Sz— Sahil Kapur (@Sahil Kapur)1611246709.0
"In the days and weeks leading up to the siege, press reports detailed the rise of violent threats on Parler against state elected officials for their role in certifying the election results, and later, against Congress and its constitutional role in counting electoral votes," said a press release from the Oversight Committee. "Numerous Parler users have been arrested and charged with threatening violence against elected officials or for their role in participating in the attack directly."
According to the press release, Rep. Maloney is also seeking an investigation into Parler's financing, because the so-called "free speech alternative to Facebook" has re-emerged on a Russian hosting service after Amazon dropped it. Along with the possible ties to Russia, Parler has received financial support from far-right hedge-fund investor Robert Mercer,, according to the Wall Street Journal.
.The news came on the same day a federal judge denied Parler's request to force Amazon to immediately reverse the decision to kick the social media site off its servers, reports The Hill.
- New Capitol Riot Videos Pulled From Far-Right Parler Site ... ›
- Trumpist Lawyer Lin Wood Accused Of Violent, Delusional Behavior ... ›
- Secession And Martial Law Obsess Right-Wing Media Outlets ... ›
- Notorious White Nationalists Identified In Capitol Rioting - National ... ›
- Apple, Amazon, And Google Drop Parler For Permitting Far-Right ... ›
- Parler Is The New Gab — A Far-Right Hive Of Scum And Villainy ... ›
- ’Seditious Conspiracy’ Complaint Filed Against Three House Members In Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Top Trump Fundraiser Oversaw Planning Of Jan. 6 Rally That Led To Riot - National Memo ›
- Woman Arrested For Capitol Riot Threatened To Shoot Pelosi ‘In Her Friggin’ Brain’ - National Memo ›
- Sen. Johnson Tries To Blame Pelosi For Capitol Riot — And Gets Torched ›
- On Viral Video Recorded Jan. 5, Rep. Greene Says ‘Get Ready To Fight For America Tomorrow’ - National Memo ›
- Trump's 'America First' Fascists Turning On Each Other In Panic Over FBI Probes - National Memo ›
- Facing Felony Charges, Capitol Insurgents Angrily Turn On Trump - National Memo ›
- Congress Debates Bipartisan Commission To Investigate Capitol Attack - National Memo ›
- New Report Details Terror Threat From ‘Plethora’ Of Right-Wing Extremists ›
- Facebook’s Internal Probe Finds Failures That Stoked January 6 Insurrection - National Memo ›
- Greene And Gaetz Now Claim FBI Instigated Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Parler 'welcomes' FBI probe of company policies after House ... ›
- The FBI Investigated Parler User's Call For Proud Boys To Violently ... ›
- US Capitol riots: FBI to investigate Parler's role and connections ... ›
- House oversight head asks FBI to investigate Parler ›
- US lawmakers ask FBI to investigate Parler app's role in Capitol attack ›
- House leader requests FBI probe of Parler policies, alleged Russian ... ›
- House Oversight calls for Parler investigation | TheHill ›
- House leader calls for FBI investigation into Parler - The Verge ›