Reprinted with permission from Media Matters
Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, called on Friday morning for the firing of Fox News host Tucker Carlson, after Carlson embraced the white nationalist "replacement" conspiracy theory on Thursday night.
"Now, I know that the left and all the little gatekeepers on Twitter become literally hysterical if you use the term 'replacement,' if you suggest that the Democratic Party is trying to replace the current electorate, the voters now casting ballots, with new people, more obedient voters from the Third World," Carlson said during an appearance on Fox News Primetime. "But they become hysterical because that's what's happening actually. Let's just say it: That's true."
The so-called "great replacement" theory posits that white people are being systematically "replaced" by people of color through mass immigration. The Guardian explained that under this theory, "replacement has been orchestrated by a shadowy group as part of their grand plan to rule the world … . This group is often overtly identified as being Jews, but sometimes the antisemitism is more implicit."
The theory has also been linked to far-right terrorists who committed mass shootings in both New Zealand and El Paso, Texas, in 2019. The white nationalist groups who marched in 2017 in Charlottesville, Virginia, were also heard chantingboth "You will not replace us" and the variant "Jews will not replace us."
In addition, Fox News personalities (including Carlson) have promoted the conspiracy theory for years, casting immigration as a "purposeful repopulation of America" and helping to propel the idea further into the mainstream of public discourse.
Carlson's own escalated rhetoric Thursday night also appeared to tap directly into the calls for direct action that motivated previous attackers. In a twisted logical pirouette, he declared that his opposition to immigration was a "voting rights" issue on the grounds that any new citizens in the country would mean "every time they import a new voter, I become disenfranchised as a current voter." (Meanwhile, he has also supported conspiracy theories about the 2020 election and the new wave of restrictions on voting rights.)
"Why should I sit back and take that?" he said. "The power that I have as an American guaranteed at birth is one man, one vote, and they are diluting it. No, they are not allowed to do it. Why are we putting up with this?"
- Fox News Promotes White Nationalism With Murdoch Backing ... ›
- Capitol Rioter Who Allegedly Stole Pelosi Laptop Is Neo-Nazi ... ›
- Neo-Nazis Idolize Fox News' Tucker Carlson - National Memo ›
- What You Can Do To Clean Up Tucker Carlson's Fascist Barf ... ›
- White Nationalist Facing Election Indictment — And Carlson ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Tooning Out Rebukes Carlson For A Nasty Case Of ... ›
- #EndorseThis: John Oliver Calls Tucker Carlson 'A Troll' While ... ›
- Tucker Carlson Ignites Outrage With Deceptive Anti-Vax Tirade ... ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Fox CEO Lachlan Murdoch Defends White Nationalist Tucker Carlson - National Memo ›
- White Nationalists Gloating As Murdochs Back Carlson’s Anti-Immigrant Rant - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Jimmy Kimmel Roasts Tucker Carlson Crispy For His 'Villain' Laugh - National Memo ›
- Fox News Is A Loaded Gun Aimed At Our Democracy - National Memo ›
- Lachlan Murdoch Endorses Carlson's Lies About Vaccine 'Deaths' - National Memo ›
- With Murdoch’s Encouragement, Carlson Promotes White Nationalist ‘Replacement’ Theory - National Memo ›
- Tucker Carlson Tries To Start A 1/6 ‘Truther' Movement (Of The Stupid) - National Memo ›
- Poll: Fox’s Carlson Driving Republican Racial Agenda - National Memo ›
- St. Louis Couple Who Threatened Protesters Must Surrender Guns - National Memo ›
- On Fox News, ‘Concerned Parents’ Are Actually GOP Activists - National Memo ›
- Alex Jones Claims Government Is Listening To His Chats With Tucker Carlson - National Memo ›
- Why Is Tucker Carlson Still On TV After Advertisers Have Fled? - National Memo ›
- Why Fox News Has Mostly Ignored Carlson’s NSA ‘Surveillance’ Complaints - National Memo ›
- Unhinged: Carlson Savages His First-Grade Teacher With Angry Lies - National Memo ›
- Why Is Tucker Carlson Still On The Air? - National Memo ›
- White genocide conspiracy theory - Wikipedia ›
- Tucker Carlson Endorses White Supremacist 'Replacement ... ›
- Fox News Accused of Radicalizing Americans by Former Neo-Nazi ... ›
- How the "White Replacement" Conspiracy Theory Spread Around ... ›
- Guess who said it: Tucker Carlson or a far-right shooter | US politics ... ›
- Fox News Host Tucker Carlson Just Promoted A White Nationalist ... ›
- Anti-Defamation League chief says Tucker Carlson 'must go' after ... ›
- Dean Obeidallah: Tucker Carlson's white supremacy 'hoax ... ›