Start your day with National Memo Newsletter
The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) is demanding the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Justice Department tell Congress what they know about their own alleged "participation" in Donald Trump's January 6 insurrection, which led to at least seven deaths. Gohmert falsely claims the attack on the U.S. Capitol – which in reality was an attempted coup designed to overturn a free and fair election – was instead a "monumental entrapment scheme used as a pretext to imprison otherwise harmless protestors" and used to "frame the entire MAGA movement as potential domestic terrorists."
News organization The Recount calls Gohmert's assertions "a bullshit baseless conspiracy theory."
The Texas Republican congressman, explained on Thursday on the floor of the House that his "friend," Fox News white supremacist host Tucker Carlson "covered this last night," called the conspiracy theory "really disturbing... because we don't like to see government agents stirring up trouble or find that there are criminal acts that would not likely have occurred had not the federal government been participating."
Having no evidence that January 6 was an "inside job," which is what Gohmert is asserting, he goes on to make up possible scenarios, again, without any basis in fact.
"Whether they were actual agents, or an undercover agents, or informants that were working for the federal government. But this is scary stuff this is, This is kind of third world stuff, this is not only third world stuff but this is like Putin-like kind of activity. So, if there were federal agents that were involved on January 6, we really need to know what the FBI knew and when they knew it, and not only that, we need to know how much participation did any of our federal friends either at DOJ, FBI, or any of the Intel Community, what kind of role were they playing?"
It's almost like he is demanding Speaker Pelosi form a Special Committee to investigate the January 6 insurrection.
From Your Site Articles
- Gohmert Repeats Debunked Claim That Jan. 6 Rioters Were 'Anti ... ›
- Unvaccinated Republican Leads Anti-Mask Tantrum On House ... ›
- Senate's Report On Jan. 6 Is Only The Beginning - National Memo ›
- FBI Director Testifies Capitol Rioters Carried 'All Sorts Of Weapons ... ›
Related Articles Around the Web
- Gohmert downplays January 6 riot in speech from the House floor ... ›
- POLITICO Playbook PM: Louie Gohmert tries to memory-hole Jan. 6 ... ›
- Congressman Gohmert describes scene inside US Capitol as ... ›
- The far right rushes to embrace Tucker Carlson's FBI-Capitol riot ... ›
- Gohmert says Jan. 6 mob attack on Capitol not an 'armed ... ›
- At Texas event with QAnon ties, Rep. Louie Gohmert downplays Jan ... ›
- GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert Suggests Federal Agents Were Behind ... ›
Keep reading... Show less