Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Allen Weisselberg, trusted chief financial officer for the Trump Organization, is reportedly at the center of a criminal investigation launched by the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James.
Details about the ongoing investigation were initially reported by CNN. The New York Times also released a similar report that confirmed details about the investigation. Back in January, James' office reportedly sent a letter to the Trump Organization to notify it of the criminal investigation into Weisselberg.
Individuals with knowledge of the investigation have noted that James' office seeks to determine "whether taxes were paid on fringe benefits that Mr. Trump gave him, including cars and tens of thousands of dollars in private school tuition for at least one of Mr. Weisselberg's grandchildren," according to The New York Times.
The publication also notes that the focus on Weisselberg's perks also "overlaps with the Manhattan district attorney's long-running criminal fraud investigation of Mr. Trump and his family business."
The investigation launched by James' office intensifies the mounting pressure against Weisselberg as Manhattan district attorney Cy Vance's office also has the officer on its radar. Vance's office has been working to gain Weisselberg's cooperation as the criminal investigation into Trump and his businesses continues.
Now, the Times reports that the two offices are actually working together:
Rather than risk bumping into each other, the two investigative offices recently began collaborating, another person with knowledge of the matter said. Two assistant attorneys general from Ms. James's office have joined the district attorney's team, which has been seeking to turn Mr. Weisselberg into a cooperating witness against Mr. Trump and the Trump Organization, people with knowledge of that effort said.
The latest report comes just days after the attorney general's office also released a statement about the collaborative effort between both law enforcement agencies."We are now actively investigating the Trump Organization in a criminal capacity, along with the Manhattan D.A."
- Ex-Wife Of Trump Organization Executive Is Talking To Prosecutors ... ›
- Attorney General: New York's Probe Of Trump Organization Is Now ... ›
- Now Focus Of Criminal Probes, Trump's Money Man Said He ... ›
- Palm Beach Officials Reportedly Planning For Possible Trump ... ›
- Report: Don Jr. Fears Election Defeat Will Mean Prosecution Of ... ›
- Trump's Shady Accountants Facing Supreme Court Test Over His ... ›
- Georgia Prosecutor Recruits Top Racketeering Expert In Trump Probe ›
- How Trump Plans To Defame New York Prosecutors Probing His Business - National Memo ›
- Manhattan District Attorney May Charge Trump Organization With Racketeering - National Memo ›
- Manhattan D.A. Investigating Second Trump Organization Executive - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Trump Organization May Face Criminal Charges By Next Week - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- ‘A Scheme To Defraud’: Manhattan DA’s 15-Count Indictment Hits Trump Inc. And Weisselberg - National Memo ›
- Trump Firm Indictments May Signal Further Charges Soon - National Memo ›
- Trump’s Criminal Defense Already Has A Big Problem - National Memo ›
- Prosecutors Investigating the Trump Organization Zero In on Trump ... ›
- Reports: Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg under criminal ... ›
- Trump CFO Allen Weisselberg faces criminal tax investigation ›
- New York AG investigating Trump Organization CFO over taxes ... ›
- Trump's Longtime CFO, Whose Testimony Could Send Him to ... ›
- New York AG criminally investigating Trump Organization CFO ... ›
- Top Trump Executive Under Criminal Investigation Over Taxes - The ... ›
- Meet Allen Weisselberg, Trump Org. CFO Manhattan DA Is ... ›
- Trump CFO Allen Weisselberg's son was given sizable salary ... ›