Elise Stefanik Pushed Hard To Elect Santos -- And Now Blames Voters
One of the most powerful Republicans in the House of Representatives, Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY), used her reputation and geographic proximity to help get fellow New York Republican George Santos elected to Congress. But now, as her donors and his express anger at being misled and lied to, and ahead of what appears to be a likely federal investigation and possible prosecution against the freshman GOP lawmaker, Stefanik is blaming voters for electing him to Congress: “Ultimately voters make this decision,” she said Tuesday.
Stefanik is the Chair of the House Republican Conference, a role she was first elected to when the now former Congresswoman, Liz Cheney, was thrown out of GOP leadership for telling the truth about the January 6 insurrection and Donald Trump. Stefanik was re-elected to her role after the November election.
Amid Santos announcing on Tuesday he is temporarily recusing himself from the two committees he was appointed to, Stefanik was asked if she regretted supporting his candidacy.
Indeed, one of the top reasons Santos was elected was Stefanik’s endorsement – and all the donor money that came with it.
“Stefanik’s team was laser focused on electing Santos to Congress – more than just about any other race in the country,” a senior Republican strategist involved in campaigns before the midterms told CNN . “Another donor, who attended a fundraising luncheon with Stefanik and Santos, confirmed to CNN through a representative that ‘he donated to George Santos because of Elise Stefanik’s endorsement.'”
It wasn’t just her endorsements. It appears Stefanik took great interest in getting Santos elected. CNN also reported that a source “said that a top political aide for Stefanik was involved in campaigning for Santos. Multiple sources told CNN that aide was closely advising Santos’ campaign and involved in hiring people.”
Stefanik’s spokesperson denied the allegations.
In July, Santos tweeted that Stefanik “has been one of my strongest backers and closest friends. I fully stand with her vote today as she stood up for civil rights. I look forward to serving alongside her when I’m elected to Congress in November.”
In fact, this was the banner atop Santos’ Twitter account for a very long time, up until recently:
Here is Stefanik tweeting her “major announcement” – her endorsement of Santos – on August 11, 2001, more than a year before Election Day.
“Excited to endorse my friend and fellow America First conservative George Santos for Congress in #NY03. @Santos4Congress will take on NYC liberal elites and bring a new generation of GOP leadership to NY and America. He has my full support!”
\u201c\ud83d\udea8\ud83d\udea8 MAJOR ENDORSEMENT ALERT \ud83d\udea8\ud83d\udea8 \n\nExcited to endorse my friend and fellow America First conservative George Santos for Congress in #NY03.\n\n@Santos4Congress will take on NYC liberal elites and bring a new generation of GOP leadership to NY and America. He has my full support! \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8\u201d— Elise Stefanik (@Elise Stefanik) 1628694131
And in May of last year: “WOW! Great lunch event for @Santos4Congress! We raised over $100,000 to help George FLIP #NY03 George has my complete and total endorsement and come November, New Yorkers will send George to Congress! #SaveNewYork #SaveAmerica”
\u201cWOW! Great lunch event for @Santos4Congress!\n\nWe raised over $100,000 to help George FLIP #NY03 \ud83d\udd35\u27a1\ufe0f\ud83d\udd34\n\nGeorge has my complete and total endorsement and come November, New Yorkers will send George to Congress! \ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8\ud83c\uddfa\ud83c\uddf8 #SaveNewYork #SaveAmerica\u201d— Elise Stefanik (@Elise Stefanik) 1653327506
She literally told voters that electing George Santos to Congress will “Save New York” and “Save America.”
On Tuesday, Stefanik told voters something very different: it’s their fault they voted for him, she said, taking no responsibility for her endorsements.
“Like all of my colleagues, particularly in New York State, I supported George Santos as the nominee, and the people of his district voted to elect him,” she told reporters – not once mentioning there was no Republican primary and Santos automatically became the Republican party’s nominee.
“Ultimately voters make this decision about who they elect to Congress,” Stefanik declared, wholly removing herself, her endorsements, and any possible assistance she or her campaign may have given to Santos or his campaign.
\u201c.@RepStefanik on Rep. George Santos: "George has voluntarily removed himself from committees as he goes through this process, but ultimately voters decide."\u201d— CSPAN (@CSPAN) 1675179301
See the tweets and video above or at this link .
Reprinted with permission from Alternet .
- GOP's Extremist 'First Two Weeks' Agenda Stalled In House ›
- GOP Calls Santos Lies An 'Internal' Issue But Democrats File Ethics Complaint ›
- House GOP Erases Santos From Its Campaign Website ›
- 'Not A Normal Person': Santos Defiant As Local GOP Demands His Resignation ›
- Why Republicans So Desperately Need Hunter Biden Right Now ›
- 'Final Straw': Santos Expulsion Gains After He Gets Access To US Intelligence - National Memo ›
- Gaetz: Abolish National Security Agencies For Probing My Alleged Crimes - National Memo ›
- Stefanik Secretly Promised Trump 'Aggressive' House GOP Attack On Prosecutor - National Memo ›
- Santos Torched For Demanding Federal Authorities 'Investigate The Bidens' - National Memo ›
- Santos 'Owned' On Twitter After Attacking Democratic Rival For Jaw Surgery - National Memo ›
- Now Santos Campaign Bookkeeper Probed For 'Outright Fraud' - National Memo ›
- Justice Department Indicts George Santos Under Seal - National Memo ›
- GOP Leaders Protect Indicted Santos Despite Bipartisan Demands For Ouster (VIDEO) - National Memo ›
- Santos Busted For Unemployment Fraud, So Republicans Aim To Cut Crackdown - National Memo ›
- House Democrats File Resolution To Expel 'Liar And Criminal' Santos - National Memo ›
- 'Tacit Endorsement': McCarthy And House Republicans Stop Santos Expulsion - National Memo ›
- Cheney Warns College Students: Republicans Want To Block Your Vote - National Memo ›
- Judge Orders Disclosure Of Wealthy Benefactors Who Posted $500K Santos Bond - National Memo ›
- House Ethics Committee Widens Probe Into Alleged Santos Offenses - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Still Protecting Santos As Democrats Prepare Censure Resolution - National Memo ›
- Santos Staffer Indicted On Wire Fraud And Identity Theft Charges - National Memo ›
- GOP Leaders Knew Santos Was A Fraud In 2021 - National Memo ›
- Fun! MAGA House Republicans Are Furiously Attacking Each Other - National Memo ›
- New Book: 'Dismissive' McCarthy Blew Off Cheney's January 6 Warning - National Memo ›
- House Ethics Probe Of Santos Nearly Complete As Expulsion Looms - National Memo ›
- Santos Says He Will Run For Re-Election As 'The Most Conservative' - National Memo ›
- OnlyFans, Botox, And Hermes: How Santos Misspent Campaign Funds (VIDEO) - National Memo ›
- Santos Expulsion Resolution Will Test Mike Johnson - National Memo ›
- Santos: House 'Felons' Get 'Drunk' With 'Lobbyists They’re Going To Screw' - National Memo ›
- Will Santos Resign, Be Expelled, Or Burn Down The House? (VIDEO) - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- After House Expels Santos, Both Parties Gird For Special Election - National Memo ›