Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.
Tuesday, March 26, 2019

NEW YORK (Reuters) – An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan on Saturday night, injuring at least 29 people, authorities said, adding that they are investigating the blast as a criminal act not immediately linked to any terror organization.

Mayor Bill de Blasio and other city officials said investigators had ruled out a natural gas leak as the origin of the blast but they stopped short of calling it a bombing and declined to specify precisely what they believed may have triggered the explosion.

“Early indications are that this was an intentional act,” de Blasio said. He added that the site of the explosion, outside on a major thoroughfare in one of the most bustling areas of New York City, was being treated as a crime scene.

“There is no evidence at this point of a terror connection,” the mayor said at a news conference about three hours after the blast. He added, “There is no specific and credible threat against New York City at this point in time from any terror organization.”

The mayor said investigators did not believe there was any link to a pipe bomb that exploded earlier on Saturday in the New Jersey beach town of Seaside Park. No injuries were reported in that blast, in a plastic trash can along the route of a charity foot race. Authorities said they believed it to be a deliberate act.

But a U.S. official said that Joint Terrorism Task Force, an interagency group of federal, state and local officials, was called to investigate the Chelsea blast, suggesting authorities have not ruled out the possibility of a terror connection.

A joint task force also took the lead in investigating the New Jersey incident.

A law enforcement source said an initial investigation suggested the Chelsea explosion occurred in a dumpster but the cause was still undetermined. The head of the New York Police Department’s special operations division said on Twitter that a “possible secondary device has been located” in the same general area.

CNN reported that law enforcement sources believed an improvised explosive device caused the blast.

President Barack Obama, who was attending a congressional dinner in Washington, “has been apprised of the explosion in New York City, the cause of which remains under investigation,” a White House official said. “The president will be updated as additional information becomes available,” the official added.

New York City Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said 29 people were hurt in the blast, and 24 of them had been taken to area hospitals, including one person he described as seriously injured. The rest suffered various cuts, scrapes and other minor injuries from shattered glass and other debris, Nigro said.

The explosion, described by one neighbor as “deafening,” happened outside the Associated Blind Housing facility at 135 W. 23rd Street. The facility provides housing, training and other services for the blind.

(Reporting by Simon Webb in New York; Additional reporting by Alex Dobuzinkis in Los Angeles, Angela Moon in New York and Mark Hosenball in Washington; Writing by Frank McGurty and Steve Gorman; Editing by Mary Milliken and Dave Gregorio)

Photo: New York City firefighters stand near the site of an explosion in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York, U.S.  September 17, 2016.  REUTERS/Rashid Umar Abbasi

  • Share this on Google+0
  • Share this on Linkedin0
  • Share this on Reddit0
  • Print this page
  • 0

24 responses to “New York City Shaken By ‘Intentional’ Explosion”

  1. nancy.pendleton says:

    I get paid around 6,000-8,000 dollars /month for freelancing i do from my home. So if you are eager to finish easy freelance tasks for 2h-5h daily from your house and get good income for doing it… Then this work is for you… http://secure84.com

    sdfdgghh

  2. AgLander says:

    Hillary Clinton needs time to fabricate and create a story that will be the least damaging to her already wobbling presidential campaign. Therefore, Hillary Clinton urges caution, go slow, let’s hold some briefings approach to an event she knows will be toxic in further exposing and reminding all of the failure of her and Obama’s terror strategy. This is the same Hillary Clinton who immediately cried out with a fabricated lie……”IT WAS CAUSED BY THE VIDEO”, within minutes after the Benghazi attack that she knew was actually caused by her refusal to provide requested additional security beforehand and, then, her refusal to send help during the attack that resulted in 4 Americans being slaughtered while she went to bed that night. The choice for clear thinking people is so very clear in this election and Hillary Clinton FAILS to qualify for our vote!! A vote for Clinton is a vote for more of the same type attacks, or worse. Send Hillary Clinton away!!

    • zorro037 says:

      O.k, you had dispatched your quota of the day. Now, drink a glass of warm milk and make sure the windows are closed.

    • Independent1 says:

      ” This is the same Hillary Clinton who immediately cried out with a fabricated lie……”IT WAS CAUSED BY THE VIDEO””

      And the lies just keep on rolling from your totally worthless person!!

      From samuel-wade.com

      Captured Benghazi Mastermind Says Attack Was Revenge For Video
      June 18, 2014 by Mindy Fischer

      So one of the things that has been driving Conservatives absolutely
      nuts is anyone suggesting that Benghazi had anything to do with a video.
      It seems that the mere mention of the word “video” in a Benghazi
      discussion sends them right over the edge.

      But from the beginning, the Obama administration and Hillary Clinton
      have been saying that initially they thought that the terrorist attacks
      in Benghazi could have been fueled, at least in part, to an
      anti-Islamist online video that was made in the United States. That is
      why Susan Rice went on to all of those Sunday morning talk shows
      immediately following the attacks and mentioned it.

      Now since then, Republicans have been relentless about insisting that
      the video had absolutely nothing to do with the Benghazi attacks, and
      that anyone suggesting otherwise was obviously only trying to contribute
      to some kind of cover-up.

      Well, now there’s someone else talking about the video. And he’s no
      Liberal. Nope, he’s actually the terrorist mastermind himself, Ahmed Abu Khatallah, who was captured by the U.S. on Sunday. According to the New York Times, Khatallah said that he was motivated by the video and wanted revenge against Americans.

      http://samuel-warde.com/2014/06/captured-benghazi-mastermind-says-attack-revenge-video/
      The Times reporter, David Kirkpatrick wrote,

      “What he did in the period just before the attack has
      remained unclear. But Mr. Abu Khattala told other Libyans in private
      conversations during the night of the attack that he was moved to attack
      the diplomatic mission to take revenge for an insult to Islam in an
      American-made online video.”

      So one of the favorite Republican attacks on Obama and Hillary about
      Benghazi might have just crumbled like cheap chalk with the capture of
      this terrorist.

      Well done, Mr. President….well done.

      http://samuel-warde.com/samuel-warde.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/1912531_10152954728523065_2914603019214990554_n.jpg

    • Independent1 says:

      When are you going to even grow up and start acting like a responsible human
      instead of continuing to be a worthless lying machine that God says will be thrown in the fire along with murderers?? You’re no better than a murderer in God’s eyes!!!

      Rev 21:8 But the cowardly, unbelieving,[e] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

      • AgLander says:

        Oh, so now you are using the Bible to justify the wrongs committed by your evil coughing queen! A sure sign that the Clinton campaign and its sycophant supporters are going down faster than the Titanic. I see you as the violin player on the main deck playing away right up to the time the ship slips under the icy waves! Happy tunes, my friend!!

        • Independent1 says:

          Come on! Prove those ‘wrongs’ committed by Hillary based on facts from credible sources!! Not your right-wing fabrication of reality sources that you always try to sell!!

          Come on!! Let’s see you actually prove something rather than run your mouth off spewing lies, false accusations and fabrications of reality!!!!!!

        • Independent1 says:

          And what’s wrong there sinner?? You don’t like that I’ve shown you that you’re a sinner no better than a murderer who is clearly destined for a 2nd death in the fire because of your pathological lying????

          • AgLander says:

            I’m fairly sure I have nothing to fear over the possibility of you as the honorable judge presiding over a kangaroo court that decides whether to send me to a punishment you see as worthy for someone pointing out the folly of your failed movement and your failed candidate! I’ll let you carry on your fantasy, however, if it offers you some sort of small relief from the stress of witnessing a tanking Clinton campaign! As Bill Clinton once said…..”I feel your pain.”

          • Independent1 says:

            So what you’re saying is that you’ve got nothing but your mindless babble. Why am I not surprised of that coming from nothing but a total loser!!!

            And where are you getting the notion that in the end, I will be doing any of the judging. Those words I quoted for you certainly weren’t mine – but then, when you’re a total loser as you are – you’ll deny anything and everything – won’t you???

        • Jerryb says:

          Uhhhh…everyone who lives to get over 45 will have some kind-of health problem at ONE TIME or another. If you’re not too far gone, YOU SHOULD ACKNOWLEDGE that as a fact. So? She’s back on the campaign trail NOW and your Donald hero is overweight, eats junk food daily, and has high cholesterol – which CAN KILL.
          He’s mentally ILL as is.

    • johninPCFL says:

      Hey, dumbshit. There were about 40 cities mobbed throughout the middle east because of the video, and later analysis showed that the attackers IN FACT used the mob generated BY THE VIDEO as cover for the attack.
      Take your lying ass elsewhere!!

    • itsfun says:

      You are being blasted by the libs with their big 6 excuses for the failures of Obama and Hillary. You are either a racist, bigot, sexist, hater, or they just call you names, and of course the good ole blame George Bush for their failures. Can you believe what the genius running to the VP for Hillary said today. He actually said we have attacks like the one in New York last night, because we are winning the war with ISIS. i sure would hate to see what would happen if we were losing.

      • Jerryb says:

        WE ARE WINNING THE WAR AGAINST ISIS. They’d prefer to have nations under their thumb to realize their caliphate, but they’ve been blasted out of Mosul, Fallujah, Tikrit, and been pushed far away from Baghdad. FACTS. They’ve LOST THE LARGE CITIES they want, so all they have LEFT is smaller bombing and shooting attacks. Recently, Turkey’s been pushing them away from their border towns, also.
        TRY TO KEEP UP WITH THE REAL NEWS sometimes….

      • Independent1 says:

        So are you prepared for the fire?? Where pathological liars like you and Aggie end up?? I hope so – cause that’s where you’re going!!

    • Jerryb says:

      Get off it! Benghazi’s been investigated UP AND DOWN since ’13 and the RIGHT has NO MORE EVIDENCE TODAY AGAINST HER OR PRES. OBAMA than it had after the attack.
      If you want to harp on old news, investigate Geo. W. Mush’s emails and Dissed Cheney’s emails and Don Rumfed’s and Condi Lice’s emails re the war in Iraq. And let’s see how that works out. And where are those WMD’s, anyway??!!
      THREE THOUSAND AMERICANS GOT KILLED IN IRAQ DUE TO BUSHED’S INCOMPETENCE AND STUPIDITY AND 3,000 is a much bigger number than FOUR.

  3. exceeds performance says:

    Thank goodness DeBlaggio said it wasn’t a terrorist, just some kids messing around

  4. Jim Samaras says:

    Of course it isn’t terror! Let’s bring a few more in…..

    https://www.youtube.com/embed/UD7UA1d-WnA?rel=0

  5. Jerryb says:

    We need to keep out ALL Arab and African Mussedlimbs PERIOD. This shouldn’t be a progressive vs. independent vs. conservative issue. It’s a matter of survival and COMMON SENSE. No matter who’s the next POTUS and in the next Congress, we all need to pressure our LEADERS and keep ALL MUSLIMS OUT OF THE U.S.
    And Europe needs to do the SAME. Let these desert sun-baked, bloodthirsty azzwipes kill themselves in their own dysfunctional, war-torn lands. And that comes from a liberal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.