LONDON, July 12, 2013 (AFP) – The world’s media have been camped for days outside the London hospital where Prince William’s wife Catherine will give birth, but the royal couple are expected to tightly control access to the new heir to the throne.
Once the newborn is presented to the public, the little prince or princess is likely to be kept out of the spotlight for weeks, if not months, experts say.
For all that the royals have complained about media intrusion in the past, notably following the death of William’s mother Diana, they now successfully manage their exposure through a slick PR operation.
“Control over access to the baby and to their family absolutely lies in the hands of William and Kate,” said Patrick Jephson, former chief of staff to Diana.
“There will be unprecedented media interest in this baby and that will continue for the rest of its life,” he told AFP.
“But the birth itself — there will be a brief period when the baby is shown to the public, and I expect for some weeks thereafter it will disappear.”
Valentine Low, royal correspondent of The Times, agrees the baby will start life with a low profile.
“William and Kate will be desperate to keep as much as privacy as they can,” he told AFP.
William’s relationship with the media is far better now than it was when his mother died in 1997, but he remains protective of his privacy.
He and his younger brother Harry developed a deep dislike of the press after witnessing the relentless pursuit of Diana by the paparazzi.
Her death paved the way however for a new relationship between the royals and the British media, who agreed to leave the princes alone while they grew up.
This deal continued through university, where William was free to woo Catherine without the glare of publicity.
Since then the royal family has been active in protecting the couple and particularly Catherine, who has proved almost as irresistible as Diana was to the world’s press.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 The National Memo